Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Insight 1: How the Un-manifest Serves Our Greater Abundance

I entered January 2008 with an incredible project in the works that had the potential of making several people a lot of money, very smoothly and easily. It was a true sign of Abundance in my business. And, together with my colleauges, we worked our side of the arrangement to the best of our ability.

However, as the month progressed, more was revealed about this opportunity that began to not sit well with our group. Certain parties were not following through. Certain arrangements were not unfolding to our liking. And as a whole, the project was becoming more complex and uncomfortable for me.

As the project finaly fell apart in late January, I recognized I had a distinct choice in front of me: to get upset about the loss of something that hadn't really come to fruition; or to use the experience to get more clear about what I want. I choose the latter.

See, having this experience was very clarifying for me on several levels:

  1. Working in and as a group became so utterly uncomfortable for me that I got clear I simply wanted to build and run my business -- just me, no one else -- and not get involved in any group or partnership ventures right now. Some might call this closing myself off to opportunities. But I instantly felt better in re-committing to my own business. This is my preference for now and I wish to stick to it. So this experience helped clarify and reinforce that.
  2. I realized that a lot of visionary talk and expression of potential was being thrown around. A lot of "we could do this" or "let's do this". Now, separate from the "we" dynamic, I realized that for right now, my preference for my business is not to get into high-flying big projects, but to build a pipeline of the bread and butter deals.
  3. However, the bread and butter deals are a means to an end. I've always known that. So the last piece for me was to clarify what end theses bread and butter deals would be a means too. And for me, it was abundantly clear as soon as I considered it: CASHFLOW.

See, the biggest reason I am in the business of real estate investing is to build cashflow and become financially free. Sure, I like the large money returns, the thrill of the chase, the meet-n-greet and wheeling-n-dealing. But the cashflow is king for me.

So while a project with incredible long-term potential (seemingly) fell through the cracks, I walked away with appreciation for increased clarity, focus and direction.

No comments: