Monday, September 29, 2008

No Such Thing as "Issues"

When I first got the concept that I didn't have to "go back" and re-hash or clean up anything from the past -- one that was hard to accept, due to many years of 12-step training -- and then began earnestly and willingly working with the contrast in my life as the source of my creative power and freedom -- which is pretty recent for me -- I began to think that there aren't really any "issues". It's all part of the life we came to create.

What is an "issue" anyways? Something we don't like, that we've focused on for longer than an insignificant amount of time and have created a story around that, whenever we think it, doesn't feel very good. And because we've been ignoring that wonderful indicator of how we feel, the story gets more and more ingrained in us.

"I'm selfish."

"I'm fat."

"Nobody loves me."

"Nobody understands me."

"No one will find me sexually attractive."

"I can't stop eating/drinking/smoking/drugging/crying/failing, etc...."

"My parents screwed me up."

I realize many of these hurt like the dickens (haven't used that phrase in ages! hehehe!). But that hurt is just a result of our continual focusing on these things. And by continually focusing on them, we over identify with them and they become stories.

Simply by understanding what the pain means, working with the contrast held within the experience and finding a better feeling story, the "issue" changes. And most importantly, whether it changes in an hour or in a year, we feel better.

Which though feels better? Which thought feels better? Which though feels better?

We have a choice!! Yay!!!!

No comments: